Royal Bank of Canada (“RBC”) is a long-standing supporter of Canadian youth, and of emerging Canadian artists and creators. Through initiatives such as RBC Future Launch and the RBC Emerging Artists Project, RBC is committed to supporting the next generation of Canadians creatives.
First Up with RBCxMusic (the “Program”) is intended to support emerging Canadian recording artists across the country through a competition (the “Competition”) commencing on [November 10, 2020] and ending on [November 22, 2020] (the “Competition Period”) to select 27 finalists (“Selected Finalists”) who will participate in a series of recording artist 10 minute performances that will take place virtually (via Instagram) on the Selected Finalist’s Instagram account. The performance will form part of a broader program that includes performances from emerging artists from across Canada.
Upcoming Key Dates
|APPLICATIONS OPEN||APPLICATIONS CLOSE|
|November 10, 2020 @ 9AM EST||November 22, 2020 @ 5PM EST|
To be eligible to participate in the Competition, each participant recording artist (“Recording Artist”) must:
• Be a legal resident of Canada (in the case of a band/ensemble, 50% of the members must be residents of Canada)
• Be between the legal age of majority in their province/territory of residence at the time of submitting their Submission (as defined below) and 35 years old
• Have an active, public Instagram account
• Be in the early stages of their career in their art form, usually within the first few years and therefore self-identify as emerging
• Be involved in their creative community
• Not have yet been publicly showcased outside of their primary country of residence
• Have little presentation or publication history
• Demonstrate a commitment to devoting more time to their artistic activity, specifically devoting a significant amount of their time per week to their art
• Make a financial commitment to their practice and seek their primary income from their artistic work
3. How to Make a Submission:
To enter the Competition, go to RBCxMUSICFirstUp.ca (the “Website”) and follow the on-screen instructions to obtain the official Competition entry form (the “Entry Form”). Fully complete the Entry Form with all required information, which requires you to: (i) enter your name, valid email address and city of residence; (ii) a photo of yourself to be used for promotional material; (iii) a short bio of 250 words or less; and (iv) signify your agreement that you have read and agree to be legally bound by these Program Terms and Conditions (the “Program Terms”). Once you have fully completed the Entry Form with all required information, follow the on-screen instructions to complete your submission (the “Submission”). To be eligible, your Submission must be submitted and received within the Competition Period. All eligible Submissions submitted and received during the Competition Period will be considered for the First Up Opportunity. The Primary Recording Artist (as hereinafter defined) must keep a digital or hard copy of their Submission. If required, Primary Recording Artist must supply the original recording of their Submission for use in connection with the Competition, including (but not limited to) for potential broadcast online or transmission by any digital means.
If it is discovered by RBC (using any evidence or other information made available to or otherwise discovered by RBC) that any Recording Artist has attempted to: (i) submit more than one (1) Submission during the Competition Period; and/or (ii) use (or attempt to use) multiple names, identities email addresses and/or any automated, macro, script, robotic or other system(s) or program(s) to participate in or disrupt this Competition; then he/she may be disqualified from the Competition in the sole and absolute discretion of RBC. Your Submission may be rejected if (in the sole and absolute discretion of RBC) the Entry Form is not fully completed with all required information and submitted and received during the Competition Period. The Released Parties (defined below) are not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, delayed, incomplete or incompatible Submissions (all of which are void).
All Submissions are subject to verification at any time and for any reason. RBC reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility (in a form acceptable to RBC – including, without limitation, government issued photo identification): (i) for the purposes of verifying an individual’s eligibility to participate in this Competition; (ii) for the purposes of verifying the eligibility and/or legitimacy of a Submission submitted (or purportedly submitted) for the purposes of this Competition; and/or (iii) for any other reason RBC deems necessary, in its sole and absolute discretion, for the purposes of administering this Competition in accordance with these Program Terms. Failure to provide such proof to the satisfaction of RBC in a timely manner may result in disqualification in the sole and absolute discretion of RBC.
4. Multiple Recording Artists for a Submission – Requirements:
- ● If there are multiple Recording Artists who form part of an ensemble, the primary applicant shall also be the primary Recording Artist for that ensemble (“Primary Recording Artist”).
● Each of the Recording Artists in an ensemble will be required to complete an Entry Form.
● By submitting a Submission, the Primary Recording Artist warrants that all Recording Artists that form part of their ensemble have acknowledged and agreed to these Program Terms on the Entry Form.
● Primary Recording Artist and their ensemble, if applicable, can only submit one (1) Submission during the Competition Period.
5. Submission Requirements
(a) All recorded performances that form part of the Submission must be of a live performance by the Recording Artist(s). While post production may be included in the Submission, no additional branding can be present.
(b) The Submission must be entirely original to the Recording Artist(s).
(c) The Submission must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of RBC, contain:
(i) any copyright works (all content must contain entirely original materials to the Recording Artist(s));
(ii) any sexually explicit, disparaging, malicious discriminatory, libelous or other inappropriate content;
(iii) any commercial content that promotes any product or service.
d) Each Submission may be submitted only once.
6. Technical Specifications
Each Submission must comply with the following format:
• Video recording (can be recorded on a phone) of the entire :10 min performance shot in vertical 9:16 format.
• Submission must identify one excerpt (time-stamped) of no more than 15 seconds each (with aspect ratios of 9:16, suitable for an Instagram story)
7. Selection Process
1. The 27 Selected Finalists will be selected by a panel of judges to be convened by RBC (the “Panel”).
2. The Panel will review and assess all submitted Submissions, and will make their recommendations based on the following criteria:
i. Commitment to music as a primary income – 30%
ii. Level of activity on Instagram – 10%
iii. Level of professionalism – 20%
iv. Execution quality – 30%
v. Geographic location – 10%
3. All Panel deliberations are confidential.
4. Following the review and selection process, on or about November 22, 2020 a 3rd party representative of RBC will contact the shortlisted finalists to book a scheduled performance date and time. If a shortlisted finalist decides to decline the First Up Opportunity, RBC will then approach the next shortlisted finalist in order of ranking.
5. All shortlisted finalists, once they have completed all of the requirements set forth in these Program Terms including signing the Artist Agreement, will become the Selected Finalists and will be announced publicly via RBCxMusic owned social channels. Following this, Selected Finalists can release their performance on their Instagram Channel in accordance with the Program Terms and their Artist Agreement.
8. Recording Artist License
1. Applicant hereby grants to RBC, a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide license to use the Submission and the Performance Content (defined below) in and on any and all media, now and hereafter devised, for any purpose.
2. Except as set forth above, Recording Artist has the exclusive ownership of any and all right, title, and interest in the Performance Content, as well as any copyrights relating thereto.
9. Participation Requirements
- • If a Recording Artist(s) (including their ensemble, if applicable) becomes a Selected Finalist, they will be required to enter into an Artist Agreement with RBC and RBC’s agent that will set out the details of their participation and the plan to release their Performance Content.
• The Selected Finalist will be provided with an Instagram story and in-feed templated invite to post on their story ahead of the date of their performance (1-2 days in advance).
• Each performance will be comprised of a ten (10) minute set which can include the songs of the Recording Artist’s choosing, and can be broken into smaller content (collectively, “Performance Content”) which shall be subject to RBC’s final approval prior to release.
• All performances whether forming part of the Submission or the Performance Content will be pre-recorded by the Recording Artist(s), adhering to the government regulated social distancing practices in effect.
• RBC will require the Selected Finalists to submit their list of songs and Performance Content within 3 days of confirmation of becoming a Selected Finalist.
• Performance Content must be original to the Selected Finalist and must comply with the requirements set out Section 5 of these Program Terms.
• Recording Artist must apply the RBC branding provided by RBC in advance of the performance which shall in no way be altered by Recording Artist
• When performing, please ensure you are in a well-lit location with low background noise
Notwithstanding any of the foregoing, to the extent the Performance Content or any part thereof is not consistent with the music originally submitted in the Submission or the values of RBC, RBC shall have the sole and unfettered discretion to preclude the Selected Finalist from participating in the performance or may require the Selected Finalist to either modify or remove any of the content in the Performance Content prior to release.
10. Social Posting
Selected Finalist is required to complete the following (each action to include tagging @RBCxMUSIC and using the hashtag #Sponsored and #FirstUp):
(a) Lineup Announcement
• Post a minimum of one (1) RBCxMusic’s IG Artist Announcement on IG Story (asset provided by RBC) on date/time agreed upon
• Post a minimum of one (1) IG Story reacting to being selected as a Selected Finalist on date/time agreed upon
• Post a minimum of one (1) IG story of the provided Performance Schedule post. on date/time agreed upon
• Post a minimum of one (1) “Tune In” message between dates agreed upon
• Post a the provided streaming schedule to encourage your audience to continue watching the remaining “First Up“ performances within 24 hours of your performance.
IG IN FEED
• Post a minimum of one (1) performance clip within 24 hours of your performance.
Provide screenshots of your IG insights for the above requirements.
– Story interactions
– In feed Post Insights
11. First Up Reward and Promotional Opportunity
RBC will select from among all eligible Recording Artists and their ensembles, if applicable, in accordance with these Program Terms twenty-seven (27) Selected Finalists to be recipients of the First Up Reward and Promotional Opportunity (“First Up Opportunity”) as detailed below:
(a) A single Recording Artist without an ensemble who becomes a Selected Finalist is eligible to receive a maximum of one (1) First Up Reward of CAD $1000 (“Single Reward”); or
(b) Recording Artists who form part of an ensemble of 2 or more for a Submission will receive a First Up Reward of $500 per individual up to a maximum of CAD$1500 for the entire ensemble (“Ensemble Reward”) regardless of the number of Recording Artists in the ensemble. The Primary Recording Artist shall be the sole recipient of the Ensemble Reward on behalf of all Recording Artists in the ensemble and shall be responsible for dissemination of such amount amongst each of the Recording Artists in their ensemble. RBC shall have no liability whatsoever in connection with such dissemination amongst ensemble members.
(c) $500 in paid media value through a social campaign that will promote their performance. ..
(d) Access to mentorship opportunities with industry professionals
● The First Up Opportunity must be accepted as awarded and is not transferable, assignable or convertible to cash. No substitutions except at RBC’s option.
RBCxMusic will provide 100% of the Single Reward or Ensemble Reward, as the case may be, once performance is posted and all Program Terms and terms of the Artist Agreement are met. Funds will be paid out between four (4) to seven (7) business days following said completion date. The funds will be delivered in the form of an Interac e-Transfer or such other form that the parties may agree.
RBC and its affiliates and agents, and each of their respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) will not be liable for: (i) any failure of the Website during the Competition; (ii) any technical malfunction or other problems relating to the telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software; (iii) the failure of any Submission to be received, captured or recorded for any reason, including, but not limited to, technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website; (iv) any injury or damage to a Recording Artist’s or any other person’s computer or other device related to or resulting from participating in the Competition; and/or (v) any combination of the above.
The decisions of RBC with respect to all aspects of this Competition are final and binding on all Recording Artists without right of appeal, including, without limitation, any decisions regarding the eligibility/disqualification of Submissions and/or Recording Artists. By participating in this Competition, you are agreeing to be legally bound by the terms and conditions of these Program Terms. ANYONE DETERMINED TO BE IN VIOLATION OF THESE PROGRAM TERMS FOR ANY REASON IS SUBJECT TO DISQUALIFICATION IN THE SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION OF RBC AT ANY TIME.
RBC reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, and without prior notice, to adjust any of these Program Terms including dates and/or timeframes stipulated in these Program Terms, to the extent necessary, for purposes of verifying compliance by any Recording Artist or Submission with these Program Terms, or as a result of any technical or other problems, or in light of any other circumstances which, in the opinion of RBC, in its sole and absolute discretion, affect the proper administration of the Competition as contemplated in these Program Terms, or for any other reason.
Fees and Expenses
There are no fees to submit a Submission. All costs incurred in the production and delivery of the musical performance, recording and Submission shall be solely at the expense of the Recording Artists.
For comments and questions related to these Terms and Conditions or the
content of your Submission, please contact RBCxMusic (firstname.lastname@example.org).